This is the third post in my 'Basic Bitch Starter Pack' series. Following on from 'Things Ever Basic B Needs In Their Bedroom' and 'Accesorries Every Basic B Must Own'. As a certified basic b I will take you through every basics favourite collection (filled with secret weapons) my hair and make-up kit.
First things first, a basic loves to have #newhairdontcare angel lady locks.
Here's what I use on my balayage mane (ok it's not really a mane but I didn't want to call it a birds nest or say hair again).
- Shampoo and Conditioner: I'm all about products that are paraben and cruelty free, but when you spend what feels like $10,000 every time you get your hair done you want it to be salon quality and look after your colour. I use Davroe Colour Senses Repair Shampoo and Conditioner
- Purple shampoo: My favourite is 'Matrix Total Results Brass Off'
- Hair Mask: Like you I've tried ALL of the hair treatments. The one I swear by (especially if you have blonde or lightened hair) is Olaplex Number 3. Leave it in dirty hair overnight and wash it out the next morning
- Styling products: KMS Tame Frizz Smoothing Lotion in towel dried hair before I brush it with my Tangle Teezer brush. I have naturally wavy/ curly hair so if I'm not chucking it up in a top knot bun (iconic basic b look) I tidy it up with my GHD (few little GHD waves and flicks) and set it with a hair wax spray. I like this WAY better than a hairspray, it doesn't set all heavy and gross but still holds hair well. KMS Hair Play Dry Wax is my go to. Anyone with fine hair (or wanting cute bed-hair) will appreciate volume dust/ powders. Rub into your roots. I swear I'm not sponsored by KMS (but like they can totally send me some wink wink) but their 'Add Volume Liquid Dust' is my fave. It doesn't feel as gritty or need to be washed out like powder ones
- Dry shampoo: Every basic's holy grail, because I just don't have time to wash my hair with a busy day of work, F45, catching up on Love Island Australia and going on a date with this cute guy who slid into my DMs.
- Face: I've recently ended a long-term relationship with Cetaphil, it's not me it's you. (Did you know Cetaphil is basically the devil filled with multiple parabens, carcinogenics and nasty chemicals?!) I've started investing in good quality skin-care, I'm using Dermavidual cleanser, toner and moisturisers suited for my skin and they are working a treat (I'll do a separate post on my skin journey as I've learnt about how to treat break-out prone skin)
- Body: Hair looking worse for wear? Coconut oil. Dry skin? Coconut oil. Credit card maxed out? Coconut oil. Chakras not aligned? Coconut oil? Boyfriend playing up? Coconut oil. You get my drift, lather your life in coconut oil, it will solve all of your problems.
Hot tip from my galpal Elly, melt your coconut oil into a smaller container you can leave in the shower and rub it on your skin with an exfoliating mitt
- Tan: When you're not getting your summer glow on somewhere tropical hashtagging #holidayspam #sorrynotsoz on your fire Instagram posts, you know Bondi Sands has got every basic b's back on tanning Thursdays. (Side note how hard is it tanning your own back though?! Can I please have an inspector gadget arm for tanning purposes)
- Lotions: Name me a basic that isn't in love with visits to Lush. I'll wait. Lush 'Dream Cream' and 'Sleepy' body creams are actually so dreamy. You'll drift off to sleep smelling heavenly
- Lip scrub: Lush Lip Scrub in 'Bubblegum' I mean it's super pretty and pink and tastes delicious so say no more
- Base: MAC Strobe Cream put this on after your skin-care for a sparkly princess glow
- Concealer: MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Layin' Low and MAC Select Cover Up
- Foundation: I use Bella Vi Mineral Foundation
- Bronzer: MAC Bronzing Powder in Dark
- Highlighter: Does anyone else feel like highlighter has changed your life? (Obvs' for the better you shiny princess). Every basic knows MAC Soft and Gentle is the best and only the only basic approved option
- Eye shadows: MAC nude base and MAC browns: Woodwinked, Satin Taupe, Wedge. Saddle, Brun and Antiqued are all in my collection
- Mascara: Maybelline The Falsies Flared Volum Express has been my favourite for years
- Lash serum: Want long luscious lashes without the up keep of falsies and ruining your own lashes? I swear by eyelash serums. Just be careful which one you use. I've found that only Lilash, Revitalash and GrandeLash actually work
Remember when we had literally NO brows in the 2000s? RIP to those thin-brow days listening to Avril Lavinge on our Discmans or the latest PCD pop banger on your iPod Nano if you were really flash, or just got a free one from the bank when you opened a tertiary account in 2007. Hopefully your eyebrows grew back after all of the over-plucking as fuller brows are a 2018 must have #browsonfleek
- Brow cream: Mellow Brow Pomade in Caramel. I mostly fill in my brows with a brown eye-shadow and an angled brush
- Lip base: Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream and in summer Strawberry Chapstick for SPF
- Red Lipstick: It's like picking a favourite child but for a signature red look, the best red lippies I've used are YSL 'Rouge Pur Couture' (The Mattes Collection) and MAC Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour in 'Feels So Grand'
- Ultimate nude: MAC Velvet Teddy. I mean if it's good enough for one of the most famous basic b's Kylie Jenner it's most certainly good enough for the rest of us. MAC Whirl is another goodie for a slightly darker nude lip
This was the third post in my 'Basic Bitch Starter Pack' series. Still to come: The things every basic b needs in her wardrobe, activities, hobbies, food and more (because let's be honest it's a way of life) will be coming to the blog soon.